• Females can be bred at 14 months of age
• Males usually start to breed at 2 years of age
• Breeding males make a unique "orgling" sound
is generally about 342 days, but can range from 320 - 380 days.
• Alpacas produce 1 cria per year, very rarely twins
• Birth usually occurs between 8 am and 4 pm so baby will dry off by dark
• Newborn alpaca babies (crias) weigh 9-23 lbs;
• Crias are usually standing within an hour and nursing within 4 hours
• Females can usually be rebred about 12-21 days after giving
• Babies are usually weaned at 6 months of age
* The ovarian cycle is on a 10-14 day cycle with the majority
of alpacas on a 12 day cycle. Thus, the first peak receptivity
will be on day 12 post partum with another peak on day 24 post
You can breed alpacas on other dates in the cycle and they can
get pregnant at other ties - just not as reliably.
To contact us regarding investments in Alpacas, click here and we will be glad to assist you.